Welcome

Welcome! My health problems add craziness to my life. Here I post ideas I've tried, also questions I'm still asking. I have an electrolyte disorder. So I have crazy neuro stuff like complicated migraines, alkalosis, loosing my speech and paralysis. (including legs and hands) Little by little, foods had to go, they affected my brain and immune system. So I avoid like the plague: soy, dairy, gluten, nightshades, and try to avoid refined sugar. My body requires pink salt and electrolytes. I now use a speedy red wheelchair that I love. I've craved a simpler life, but how do you do that with crazy health stuff? I've already had a fire and flood, so I really don't value possessions. I value people and experiences. I am not compensated for any posts, just my opinions.

Friday, January 30, 2015

When life feels loud, do you have a quiet corner to decompress in? Indoors and outdoors?

Sometimes things get really loud literally, and sometimes they just feel really loud, because I get sensory overload. When I don't feel well, I've always craved a quiet little corner to recover in. Where no electronics can get to me, for a little while. Then after my little break, I feel more ready to get back to my responsibilities again.

When I was little, my parents used to find me with my bed sheets draped like a tent and I held a flashlight reading mysteries. In Japan it rained a lot, but I liked to be outside. So I often carried multiple umbrellas to build forts, including to read under my little umbrella fort.

I have two new favorite places at my new house. I still read on my bed when it's a bad day, because then I'm still able to have adventures instead of thinking about feeling sick. (No electronics in my room). An indoor corner is good for me in case of bad weather or bad limitations day. But getting outside is so much better. So I've always tried to find a corner indoors and outdoors. This picture taken from my back door is the first corner I set up. In the summer it's very shady. In the winter it's very sunny, and it has a peaceful view. My deck has potted herbs along the wall, so even if I'm not very mobile, I can still have a little taste of quiet and the outdoors to decompress some. The deck overlooks a hill and small creek. If I cross the little bridge over the creek, there is my favorite place (2nd place) for if I have a good walking day. It's under a big, low growing tree, surrounded on two sides by a thicket. I can sit in that corner, on a blanket, real still, and see tons of birds and squirrels running across the branches in front of me and overhead. Sometimes butterflies flutter around and bunnies hop by too.

I love efficiency! I even love my laptop. It may seem sitting still and taking breaks from electronics is inefficient, but I truly believe everyone needs unplugged time to recover. It depends on your day, demands, etc how much down time we each need. Most people feel the crunch more in December or at final exams. I find spending quiet time in a little corner of nature helps me work and think more efficiently. If I don't take the time, I'm just going to waste the time fighting migraines and everything else that comes from not resting enough. Looking at birds and trees is much more pleasant! Have you found a quiet corner outdoors for you yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment