Welcome

Welcome! My health problems add craziness to my life. Here I post ideas I've tried, also questions I'm still asking. I have an electrolyte disorder. So I have crazy neuro stuff like complicated migraines, alkalosis, loosing my speech and paralysis. (including legs and hands) Little by little, foods had to go, they affected my brain and immune system. So I avoid like the plague: soy, dairy, gluten, nightshades, and try to avoid refined sugar. My body requires pink salt and electrolytes. I now use a speedy red wheelchair that I love. I've craved a simpler life, but how do you do that with crazy health stuff? I've already had a fire and flood, so I really don't value possessions. I value people and experiences. I am not compensated for any posts, just my opinions.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Perspective during our health crises

 When crises happens in my life, we revert back to the bare minimum: rest, nourishment and trying to recover. About a month ago I was on my way to see my neurologist for complications I was having, when all of a sudden I was hit with a norovirus. Thankfully I wasn't driving. When I felt temporarily stable, I got back home and camped in my bathroom, the sickest I've ever been in my life, for several days.  Everything was cancelled, everything had to wait. Sometimes we just have to do that in life.

Sometimes when I have bad handicap days, I try to find stories about other wheelchairs users. I want to learn how they got through their crises time and how they adapted their homes. One amazing fact (to me) is that most who become paralyzed have about a year recovery.  That's just the bare minimum basics, with most of that time being in hospitals.When I read others stories, it reminds me I need to be more patient learning new skills, and taking more time to rest and recover.

I read a story yesterday I found really inspiring I wanted to share, about Michael Graves. He's known for a lot of his household designs at Target. I bought some things he designed for Target. I saw an article that said Michael Graves was also known for Universal Design which is a subject I'm really interested in! Many people go buy a house, and then by the time it's paid for, they can't live physically in it anymore! They're older, and can't do stairs. They have knee problems, use walkers etc. Universal Design is the idea that you buy a house and it works with you young and old. It's handicap accessible but beautiful, not looking institutionalized. As I read this article I learned something that amazed me. It said Michael Graves got a viral infection at age 68, that left him paralyzed, needing a wheelchair. His perspective: he said he thought his paralysis made him a better designer! He designed the Wounded Warrior homes at Ft. Belvior. I saw those last year and thought they were beautiful homes. I'm truly happy our veterans can have something nice to recover in. I have a lot of veterans in my family, so this is very important to me. He also designed a better, more comfortable transport wheelchair for hospitals. The article also says Graves was in a hospital for two years recovering, and asked, "who want's to recover in a room that's beige?" I can so relate!!
Here's the article: http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/blogs/the-lasting-legacy-of-universal-design-champion-michael-graves
I love that Michael Graves, put his knowledge and perspective to good use to help others!!

Addendum: Mr. Graves just recently passed away. I'm thankful for his contributions and awareness for accessibility, functionality and also the need for things to be beautiful. Here's a TedMed Talk he did in 2011 about his hospital stay and why he felt rehabs needed to be re-done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fiEB3Ktzj8

1 comment:

  1. Julie, you amaze me! You certainly have the "making lemonade out of lemons" thing perfected!

    ReplyDelete