Welcome

Welcome! My health problems add craziness to my life. Here I post ideas I've tried, also questions I'm still asking. I have an electrolyte disorder. So I have crazy neuro stuff like complicated migraines, alkalosis, loosing my speech and paralysis. (including legs and hands) Little by little, foods had to go, they affected my brain and immune system. So I avoid like the plague: soy, dairy, gluten, nightshades, and try to avoid refined sugar. My body requires pink salt and electrolytes. I now use a speedy red wheelchair that I love. I've craved a simpler life, but how do you do that with crazy health stuff? I've already had a fire and flood, so I really don't value possessions. I value people and experiences. I am not compensated for any posts, just my opinions.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

When you feel awful, try humanitarian work!

some draw string bags
liners in bundles of 50
When you have chronic health problems, it's easy to feel discouraged. It's easy to feel limited and have thoughts like: I can't do much, I can't help, I can't make a difference... Feeling helpful and needed is such an emotionally important thing! To think about helping someone else, (and actually doing something), instead of  having too much time to think about your own problems,...it's rather freeing.

Last September, I read an article in our local newspaper about a project to help girls around the world. It really spoke to my heart. I'm finding that their situations are so much harder than I ever could have imagined. And this was something I could do! A really huge problem all over the world. With a really good plan. And I could help! I had some bad health problems and needed surgery when I was young. I cannot imagine not being able to have soap and sanitary supplies accessible through my challenges! And I'm sure many girls and women have problems like I did, but without medical assistance, so I really wanted to help.

Here's the article that inspired me and touched my heart. Its about our local chapter of Days for Girls: local news article, project info
I'm excited because our local chapter has connections with the Catholic Church. Catholic clergy can safely get to areas not easily accessible to humanitarian aid, to distribute our kits. Recently we found out a lot of children were still at home, not able to go to school. I was glad that our last batch of kits went to the girls who can't even get to school in Burundi.
This is the Days for Girls website, if you would like to look for a chapter where you live, to help sew. Or if you have supplies you wish to donate to your local group: http://www.daysforgirls.org/
They also have a fun FaceBook page, where people post info and pictures of their kits ready to send to girls. Sometimes pictures of kits being received too. https://www.facebook.com/DaysforGirls/ Today's post shows 1005 kits were received in Congo! Hooray!

shields, ready for top stitching
I met our group about a year ago, at the start of the new school year. It was a week after I read the article. I wanted my kids to do this as part of school. More awareness of others worldwide, while learning and practicing sewing skills. My girls helped cut, pin and use the serger. My son helped pin and thread ribbons through the draw string bags. I made it a goal to make 50 complete kits with my family. Then I'd just sew what ever was needed to help the group assemble kits. Last week, I just turned in my 50th kit, plus 10 more! Much of this year I haven't been able to drive. But we picked up pieces from the group to work on at home, until I was well enough to meet the group again.The quilt shop has a really nice sewing room they let us use once a week. I'm very grateful to the shop to work in such a nice place. I don't get out much these days. But it makes me really happy to go to the quilt shop and sew with other women.

I mounted my computer monitor to the wall, so I'm looking up, to help my neck problems. I like to watch old movies while I cut, pin, etc. I'll work on batches the length of a movie. (BBC Masterpiece Theater while sewing is a real treat for me.) When I have sewing machine marathons, I plug in earphones and listen to quiet relaxing music to help me unwind at the end of the day. During my remodel, I put down a vinyl tablecloth and had sewing marathons at my dining room table. I love this project and plan to continue supporting it for the rest of my life.


It's feel working on these kits is relaxing and fulfilling. This helps meet my emotional need: to feel like I can contribute something, so I feel less physically stressed.  And I feel something profound in my soul. A gratitude I can do something important, despite my physical issues. You don't have to be able to walk, or talk, or have strong hands to do this project. I tried to find and use the brightest, cutest material, hoping that they know someones was thinking about them as they sewed. And hoping one part of their life might possibly get a little bit better with my gift, made with love.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a worthwhile project and we can do it around our own schedules.

    ReplyDelete